This page provides quick instructions that outline how to install a VisIt binary on your computer and obtain the sample datasets used in the VisIt Tutorial.
If you have any questions or issues, please feel free to email Cyrus
- 1 Installing VisIt
- 2 Plotting an Example Dataset
Select and download a VisIt release binary for your platform
Extract or Install the release
- untar the tarball
- Open the DMG file and copy the VisIt app bundle to your desktop
- Run the VisIt installer program and follow the prompts.
Run VisIt to test your installation
- In your shell, run
- Double click the VisIt app bundle
- Or, in your shell, run
- Launch VisIt from the start menu (or equivalent)
VisIt's GUI and Viewer should appear.
Plotting an Example Dataset
Download the tutorial sample data:
Untar or unzip the visit_tutorial_data file
Create a Pseudocolor Plot of example.silo: pressure
- In VisIt's GUI, click Open
- Navigate to the folder containing the tutorial data
- Select example.silo and click OK
- In VisIt's Plot list, click Add
- Select Pseudocolor/pressure
- Click Draw in VisIt's Plot List
- Your plot will appear in VisIt's Viewer, click and drag to rotate the plot.