VTK 6.3 Upgrade
This page is deprecated! Please see VTK 7.1 Upgrade instead.
Branch name is VTK-6.3-port, user bonnell.
I will document changes needed for compilation as I find them. I will not attempt to use the new OpenGL2 backend until other issues are resolved.
I am starting from a build of VTK-6.3.rc1, using the same build parameters we use for 6.1.
VTK Build changes
- Are any of the current patches in bv_vtk.sh still needed?
- Remove vtkRenderingFreeTypeOpenGL module from bv_vtk.sh, it no longer exists. DONE
Changes for clean VisIt compile
- vtkRenderingFreeTypeOpenGL module no longer exists, so CMakeLists.txt files that add this link target need to be updated. DONE
- vtkStructuredVisibilityConstraint removed (vtkVisItStructuredGrid needs to be compared to the new vtkStructuredGrid for necessary modifications). DONE
- Remove references to vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline::MAXIMUM_NUMBER_OF_PIECES() (vtkVisItProbeFilter, visit_vtkPOpenFoamReader) DONE
- Temporarily disable PLOT3D database reader, as vtkMultiBlockPLOT3DReader upon which it depends was moved into IO/Parallel module, which we currently don't build. DONE
Other changes to consider
- vtkVisItProbeFilter uses legacy method names (SetSource instead of SetSourceData, does not have SetSourceConnection)
- vtk changed their header file #defines to remove leading underscores, should we change our vtk filter to do the same?
- This may not apply to 6.3 but when I built against 6.2, Pseudocolor plots looked wrong when color texturing was used. Maybe we can get rid of our own color texturing if VTK supports it now.
- the PLOT3D reader currently depends on vtkMultiBlockPLOT3DReader, which now resides in vtk's IO/Parallel module. Not sure we want to build that module, so the PLOT3D reader needs to be re-thought.
- Point-centered vars not rendered correctly in color-using-texture mode.